MVH Tri Club – History
2010/11 – The open water swim moves location – twice and MVH Tri Club go global!
- In September 2011, Mick Skivington brings home the Bronze age group medal at the World Championships finale in Beijing.
- In May of 2011, Paul Jurczuk became the first MVH member to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii by finishing 2nd in his age-group at Ironman Texas.
- April 2011 and the Open Water Swim has moved to the Lavender Patch, Hilton
- May 2010 sees the open water swim commence at Manor Park Sailing Club in Kings Bromley with 54 swimmers.
2009 – 50 MVH go to France
- MVH Tri Club attended the Ironman France 2009 (including families approx 50 people!).
- MVH host the first Duathlon trial event at the Rosliston Forestry Centre.
- Paul Jurczuk and Grace Gadsby became Club Male and Female Club Champions.
- Ashley Hurdman and Sarah Jemmett became the Male and Female Club Novice Champions
- Mick Skivington won the Male Veteran Championship
- Syvia Franklin won the female veteran trophy.
- Warren Simms received the Triathletes Triathlete Trophy.
2008 – The club continues to grow & develop & succeed in competitions
- January, MVH Tri link to the Plan B cycle racing team is formed.
- February – MVH commence the ‘STAR’ accreditation with the British Triathlon Federation.
- March – the Junior section is launched
Competing in 2008
- David Hollyoak attends the European Triathlon Championships – David Hollyoak.
- Mick Skivington brings home a medal from the World Championships.
- David Hollyoak wins the Trentham Sprint Triathlon.
- Rachel Hall wins a gold medal at the ETU Long Course Championships.
- Paul Jurczuk and Stacey Eccles became the MVH Tri Club Male and Female Club Champions.
- Ashley Hurdman and Helen Smith became Male and Female Club Novice Champions
- Mick Skivington won the Male Veteran Championship.
- Keith Dunn won the Triathletes Triathlete Trophy.
2007 – MVH goes competing in Europe
- Stacey Eccles and Brian Welsh compete at the Ironman Lanzarote 2007.
- Grant McKinlay competes at the World and European Duathlon Championships –
- MVH Tri Club attended the Ironman Switzerland 2007 (including Families – see photo above).
- Abbey Norman gains a medal at World Championships
- In August, Brian Welsh, Stacey Eccles, Des Cowie and Ben Starbuck enter the annual National Club Relays held in Nottingham.
- In September, MVH held its first Aquathlon at Barton Marina.
- In October, Andrew McKinlay finishes 5th in the Males Tristars at the Sutton Bonnington Duathlon.
- In November MVH retained the National League title for ‘small squads’ and finished 9th in the overall National League.
- In December, Paul Jurczuk and Rachel Hall became the MVH Tri Club Male and Female Club Champions respectively with David Hollyoak and Sam Johns winning the Male and Female Club Novice Champions.
2006 – A year of firsts for MVH
- The first club swim training, cycle training and run training was held across the week-end of 6th to 8th January. Yes it was cold!
- The first race under the new colours and club kit was Wombourne Sprint Triathlon on Sunday 23rd April 2006.
- The open water training facility was opened on Saturday 8th July 2006 at Barton Turns Marina, Barton-under-Needwood.
- First MVH – World Championship attendee – Stacey Eccles.
- First title and honour, the relay event at the Carsington Duathlon on the 8th October 2006. Team members included Alex Arrowsmith, Rachel Hall and Adrian Williamson.
- In our first season MVH was awarded the National League 2006 title for ‘small squads’ in November 2006 and finished 13th in the overall National League.
- First sports grant of £620.00 by the ‘East Staffordshire Sports Council’ to buy turbo’s and swimming equipment in November 2006.
- Alex Arrowsmith and Clare Williamson became the first MVH Tri Club Male and Female Club Champions respectively for 2006.
2005 – Club is founded
- The Meynell Valley Hunters Triathlon Club was formed on the 24th October 2005 by 5 people from the Staffordshire area.
- The name of Meynell Valley Hunters is derived from the pub (Meynell Ingram Arms) in heart of the Staffordshire countryside around the Hoar Cross, ‘Happy’ Valley area. The ‘Hunters’ part of the name is derived from the sport which was once so prominent within the area.
- The club was affilated to ‘British Triathlon’ November 2005.
Adrian Williamson (Founder), Alex Arrowsmith, Clare Williamson, Di Arrowsmith, Brian Welsh, Rachel Hall, Grant McKinlay, Pippa Simpson, Simon Billson, Stacy Eccles, Desiree Cowie, Ben Starbuck.